Restoration of Rights
This page contains national restoration of rights materials; state-specific resources on restoration of rights are available here.
Summarizes rights restoration mechanisms in each U.S. jurisdiction, including pardon, judicial expungement and certificates, and systemic relief provisions.
- Individual state profiles
- Federal profile
- 50-state comparisons:
- Loss and restoration of civil rights and firearms privileges
- State law relief from federal firearms disabilities
- Characteristics of pardon authorities
- Judicial expungement, sealing, and set-aside
- Consideration of criminal record in licensing and employment
- Relief from sex offender registration obligations
Information about governmental agencies and community-based organizations that assist people with criminal records, practitioners, researchers, and policy makers.
State-by-state guide to sealing, expungement, and other relief
State-by-state pardon information from the Foundation for Continuing Justice
2014 report on expungement and confidentiality from the Juvenile Law Center.