Restoration of Rights
This page contains national restoration of rights materials; state-specific resources on restoration of rights are available here and at the “Individual state profiles” link below.
Summarizes rights restoration mechanisms in each U.S. jurisdiction, including pardon, judicial expungement and certificates, and systemic relief provisions.
- Individual state profiles
- Federal profile
- 50-state comparisons:
- Loss and restoration of civil rights/firearms rights
- State law relief from federal firearms disabilities
- Characteristics of pardon authorities
- Judicial expungement, sealing, and set-aside
- Consideration of criminal record in licensing and employment
- Relief from sex offender registration obligations
From the Justice Center of the Council of State Governments
Information about governmental agencies and community-based organizations that assist people with criminal records, practitioners, researchers, and policy makers.
State-by-state guide to sealing, expungement, and other relief
State-by-state pardon information from the Foundation for Continuing Justice
2014 report on expungement and confidentiality, including state-by-state scorecard, from the Juvenile Law Center.